Friday, October 3, 2008

Why I Support CA Prop. 8 (as well az AZ Prop. 102)

I was asked ealier this evening to explain why I support these ballot initiatives, and here is my response. Take the time to read carefully and THINK; you might actually learn something . . .


Let me begin by clarifying something: as a gay man myself, I am not "anti-gay rights." I simply do not share the same sense of entitlement that a lot of gay men have. I am one of those folks who believes in the real American way, that gay or straight, black or white, male or female, blue eyed or brown eyed, you need to quit whining about "injustice" and pay your way in society for the rights we enjoy and that that our country has firmly stood for and fought for since its founding.

Just over two years ago, I made the bold decision that I would stop being a whiny gay man who felt entitled just because he was "different" and thought he HAD to, for reasons that I still honestly cannot articulate to this day, always be Democrat and liberal. I subscribed to that for many years, and it got me absolutely nowhere, and I was nothing but unhappy and depressed almost 24/7. I decided that, even though I'm gay, there must be a better way to live my life, that I did not have to forever sit in the same miserable abyss of emptiness that so many other gays seemed content with sitting in and are absolutely determined to stay in.

Once I started realizing that I was a capable and highly intelligent person with actual potential (regardless of sexual preference) and started putting the gifts God gave me to good use, I reached a point of success, personally and socially and financially, that I could have never otherwise imagined. I realized that society is not nearly as "homophobic" as many gay people imagine. In fact, the overwhelming majority of resentment, jealousy and hate I have experienced as a gay man has come from other GAY men, not all of these "homophobic" straight folks. In fact, every str8 person who was a friend of mine before I came out is still a friend of mine to this day. Even those who do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle have gone out of the way to let me know that they still like me as a person and I will always be their friend, because I am Casey first, and a gay man second. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about many gay men I have encountered in the past nine years. There are some pleasant exceptions (and you all know who you are and I thank you dearly BC, GC, MP, SR, TB, and most recently JS), but let me say very clearly that those exceptions are clearly the most very precious jewels in the deepest rough.

When I wake up in the morning, I am eager to start my day with a smile on my face. When I walk down Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, or Hillcrest in San Diego, or the Castro in SF, I might be the only person in the vicinity with a real smile on his face and who is proud of what he has achieved and what he stands for and happy and content with who he is as a person, but that's just fine with me. I can only control my own attitude and nobody else's. If all of these other gay men want to be bitter and miserable their entire lives, and deprive themselves of the happniess and fulfillment they could and would otherwise achieve, than they in the end are in reality more "homophobic" than any straight person. However, that is really beyond my control, as I can only decide my attitude and my beliefs and no one else's. Believe me, I had to resign myself to that fact a long time ago, but it sure lifted a burden from my shoulders that in hindsight, I never even needed to assume in the first place!

As to why I support Prop. 8, it's not a gay issue at all. It's not about gays, it's about marriage as an institution and what it was always intended to stand for, and what it should always stand for. Prop. 8 takes nothing away from gay people here in CA that we do not get already through domestic partnership.

I was fortunate to grow up in a household where I was raised by both a mother and a father (who believe it or not, are still together now 33 years and counting). The majority of gay men I have met since coming out in 1999 were unfortunately not afforded the experience of growing up in a good, decent, and healthy loving home (many admit they were either abused, were children of divorce, or were raised by day care centers or neighborhood babysitters rather than loving parents), so I can understand why they are so quick to "jump the gun" and dismiss the legitimacy of marriage and allow their sexual orientation do their thinking for them on this issue.

Furthermore, pushing a gay marriage agenda has always been shown to erode, not enhance. society's support towards gays. Many who otherwise support gay rights, believe we deserve to be treated with dignity and be free from discrimination or hate crime, all of the sudden change their tone when gays start crossing the threshold by insisting on "marriage" rights. It's a classic case of being given an inch of good intention from decent people, and exploiting and abusing it by going miles and miles beyond what was intended. The marriage issue is where people finally draw the line and say, wait a minute, that's enough! Personally, if a same sex couple are truly in love, why do they need a traditional and legal sacrament to prove that? Perhaps a lot of gays who think they are "in love" and have found their "life partner" have deep insecurity about whether or not the person they are with really cares about them at all, and they therefore need legal "marriage rights" from the government to continue to subsscribe to their own divorce from reality. Most gay "relationships" I have seen are based on anything but love, and are instead basically nothing more than "friends with benefits." This makes a mockery out of what a real, loving relationship entails, and society should not be forced to pretend that this resembles anything close to a genuinely committed relationship between two people that is worthy of any type of legal recognition.

Ironically, so many gay people don't realize that it is best for their own good, intended or not, that society generally looks down on the idea of "marriage" for same-sex couples. Deep down, most gays and lesbians know that, although I'll concede that few are as bold as I am to actually come out and say it. It's the big "pink elephant" in the gay community that ultimately, we can't simply dismiss and ignore, try as we might.

Sooooo . . . I hope I've answered your question. I know this was probably more of a "personal testimonial" than a simple yes or no answer to a ballot measure in my home state. However, it is my personal experiences that have shaped me into who I am today and that finally enabled me to "get a clue" and rejoin the real world with everyone else. I could not be any happier, while "mainstream" gays could not be any more nasty and bitter, just as I once was. I will never digress back in that direction ever again . . . ugh!!!

Regards,
Casey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Casey,
You are so entitled to feel this way at the young age of 29. I might have agreed with you in the past as well, but not today. I am single and very happy being so. I'm not lucky enough to have ever been truly in love. I hope that is still a possibility for me someday. I'm a professional and work hard and pay my taxes. I'm a responsible citizen of this great country and give much more than I take. I have been subjected to adversity because of my sexual orientation. These directly affect my life, but I overcome this daily and remain positive. I'm not what you would call a whiner. I've had opportunities to whine, but I just remain positive and keep pluggin away. However, those habitual whiners that you talk about have a good reason. They aren't as strong or as smart as you and I. They are affected by the shit life throws at them. Guess what? There are people like that in every walk of life.

I don't believe you when you say, you have every straight friend you had before they knew you were gay. If so, ask yourself if they're really good friends. How long have you been out to them? Give them time.

My parents got divorced and I had plenty of baggage from it, but I dealt with it. They had the right to the "institution of marriage" and they practically to a dump on it. If I met some guy and fell head over heals, I wouldn't want to marry him. That's just me. However, there are others that desperately want this and are denied with negative ads reminding them what they feel is WRONG. Unfortunately, our society is religious based and so is marriage. The only way "our" culture is going to be acknowledged in this society is to keep fighting.
You've given up and become complacent with the "inch" given. We deserve more than an inch. If you feel like that is too much then I believe you're having problems of your own.

I have friends that have been together for more than 35 years. They have been role models for me and my perspective on gay relationships. I met them when I first came out 20 years ago. They are two really cool men and have been in love since their days at University of Redlands. They were finally married. It wasn't the traditional wedding and most aren't. In retrospect, they've been committed longer than my parents and most straight people today. If not for their rights then for the love they still share. Come on dude, you're smarter than that. Vote NO!