Sunday, November 9, 2008

WOW!!! Isn't This a Shocker?

I just came across this post on intheagora.com (one of my favorite blogs). I must say that it is quite interesting to say the least:

Obama's coattails bring victory for gay marriage ban?
By Eric Seymour
The silver lining to yesterday's election for social conservatives is that it looks like Proposition 8--the amendment to the California state constitution to ban gay marriage--is headed for victory. In a predictable yet intriguing twist, increased enthusiasm among black voters (who overwhelmingly voted for Obama) may have helped the measure win.

Exit polls showed that white voters opposed the measure, while black voters supported it. (It is a well-known fact that there is stronger opposition to gay marriage within the black community than in the nation as a whole.) With record turnout among black voters expected, that may well have been a major factor in deciding the measure's fate.


*So let me get this straight (no pun intended). All of these gay and lesbian voters strongly supported Barack Obama, yet his candidacy may have been what ultimately doomed same-sex marriage rights. Perhaps if the "messiah" had openly supported same-sex marriage, Prop. 8 would have been resoundingly defeated (as well as the similar measures in both Arizona and Florida). Nonethless, exit polls showed, for some odd reason, that Obama received almost 75% of the gay and lesbian vote nationwide and was actually perceived as the more "gay friendly" candidate. Didn't I warn people on my blog a few weeks ago that this perception was simply not true?

By golly, you can even look it up for yourself:

caseyblog1.blogspot.com
Monday, October 13
Posted at 9:24 PM

Although I have seen a lot of irony in my life, this is the most extreme and egregious example yet. Although I am not exactly pleased that Obama won the election, I anticipate that I am going to have quite a field day these next four years. Evidently, opening ceremonies have already commenced.

No comments: